Thread: Far from dive shops

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Far from dive shops

I have been doing a little thinking about Pcp verses Springer?s. Well it seems that Pcps and the tops for many applications but there is one big problem and that is to do with the power plant, compressed air. Not this is the question. What would be the best airgun to own say if one lives on a farm in say Elliot, which is far from any dive shop so good quality dry air can be had? Would a top of the line springer be better to have and use both for hunting, (pests) and FT on the farm? What ideas guys. %-6

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

You can always buy a pump or a compressor. Second hand compressors can be bought for very little if you look hard enough.

REP: The Airgun Shop

User Info Menu

Well I'm no expert, but PCP's make no sense at all if you don't have compressed air. I suppose you could buy a handpump... but that seems like a lot of work.

Best bet will probably be a TX200 or HW97K, but there are a lot of other good springers out there.
    Some cheaper ones like the BAM30 / BAM40 can also be a good buy.

The other option is going for a CO2 rifle like the QB78 (powered cartridges)

Look here... http://www.greatdeal.co.za/qb78-bolt...ges-p-666.html

BREYT's Avatar BREYT

theres only two rifles you should look at if you want to buy a decent rifle hw97k or tx 200

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Well yes that is more or less what I had in mind a good springer such as the Gamo Stutzen, CF Dioper or CFX. They all seem to be fairly good and will do the job that I would require from them very well. Am I correct in thinking that a fixed barrel will be the way to go?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

If money ain't an issue, why not go for one of those big gas tanks. Think they are around 150 litre.?
    Would need a bakkie to cart it around though.
    You could also decant air into normal diving bottles for shooting trips and hunts.

0.02c (US).

Re: Springers.
    HW97K is awesome for a springer.
    Only thing about these high quality springers is that they're a bit on the heavy side. IIRC the 97K comes in at 9 lbs un_scoped.

psychoSven's Avatar psychoSven

well im not to clued up on this, but have you thought about Gas Ram rifles. a pump for a pcp is also very effective, it is only second best in most cases but in urs i probably isnt!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Well mony will be tight so the top line is a little out but there are good stuff in the lower price bracket. The option of the QB 78 seems good as co2 cartridges can be had at almost any pnp or some other shops that can be found in the small towns. That hade me wonder if one of these can be converted to air. I do not know if there is a thread about this. One would have a compressor on the farm any way to inflate tyres etc so that would work if it has a water trap. I do fancy the Bam 50 and 51 looks nice and seems a fairly good buy and whos price is close to the limit to what I would spend but that would mean no scope. This brings me back to the question of an compressed air conversion on the QB 78. Come on lets see what the brains trust has to say on this one.

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Andre . I took my PCP and my spriner to the last shoot.I thought I would throw the springer into the bush after th first couple of lanes.How wrong could i have been.The springer turned out to be a real enjoyable shooter.If you are looking for dead accurate I think PCP is the answer.An all round hunter and plinker for the Hondo Kid springer just has the edge.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Just to put the PCP thing in perspective for use in remome areas... You would probably get at least a 1000+ good shots from a 12l diving cylinder as a very conservative estimate. That means only refilling once in a blue moon even if you are shooting quite a bit.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Good point mitchejc.
    I've got a S400K, bit heavy on air usage.
    I get 42 perfect shots per fill (heart of the fill thing) and get about 40 fills from my 12L.
    When I'm not filling other peoples rifles I only use 2 fills a week on average. (Only shoot one day a week due to work and the hunting handbrake.)
    So I would get about 20 weeks on a scuba fill.

Hmm lets be pessimistic and say I need 3 fills a year (60 weeks) - that's R75.00 a year for air. Not bad value for money entertainment.

Okay I'm burbling, sorry - just come off a 14 hours shift, had too much coffee and just waiting for my brain to convice my body to shut down.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

just get a pump, and chage the moisture filter as per instruction.......

the way i see it, springers........ one would have to cock it for each shot and if it's the HW90 (fac), RESPECT to anyone that can shot 50 pellets in a row, with no smoke breaks

something like the AA S4X0 (ie. unregulated), the sweet spot is prob. between 160-110 bar, and it's actually quite easy to pump from from 110 to 160 bar. imho, not much more than the energy used to cock a (12ftlbs) springer for equal amount of shots. the trick is use 'em the legs.

the real question is what do you really want.......a springer or pcp?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Andre! You are so fortunate to be living on a farm.All those wide open spaces and all those springhares.Wow!! Firstly,which type of quarry do you intend hunting and is there enough cover ie shrubs or trees to hide behind for stalking.
    If you really like the independence of the springer then I would say go for a Diana 350. If you are looking for a bang for the buck rifle then go for the Gamo 1250.There is one left at Suburban Guns in Cape Town.This baby will boll a Cape Hare from 50 metres easily.The figures I obtained last week over ten shot spreads at the coast were:
    JSB 8.4gr 1092fps
    Gamo Pro Match 7.4gr 1162fps
    Gamo Pro Magnum 7.4gr 1149,4
    Gamo Ts10 10.5gr 1001,72
    The average variation for the light pellets was about 24fps and for the 10,5gr pellets about 9fps.Check out the reviews of this gun on www.reviewcentre.com
    Then you make up your mind as to what your requirements are.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

After all rhis advice and a lot of thought I think I will go with a springer for this one and get one of those Gamo's with the 1000 fps. They shoud serve me well and a good scope and that will set me up. The weight is a factor and the exercise of cocking is well good as going to the gym. I will look into a sling as well. I know from experience of shooting dassies on another farm in my younger days the old 22 did not have a sling and that was a pain when bringing home the kills. I never thought of trying the springer I had then to shoot a dassie. It might have been ok but it is hard to make a call on that as I do not have it anymore.