Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new Toys Attachments

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default My new Toys Attachments

Right, here's a serious question:
    I need to put a scope on my new toy when it arrives, but, which one?
    I've read reviews on all sorts of scopes but conversly I hear from others things like , "OH thats a piece of crap, dont get one of those". yet some of the world champs shoot with them and they are top dollar items or "If you can get one of these", which invariably means "I cant cos they dont make em anymore" So where do I go from here. I've thought about putting my big Nikko on it but I still need another piece of glass and I really dont want to have to go through setting up two scopes plus the Nikko is a weighty piece of kit. Maybe it would be the better option as the Steyr is a Kilo lighter than the EV2 The other thing is I never shoot at 50x mag as the picture gets too misty so tops would be 40x and its got to be side wheel parallax. So all you experts, lets help Brian to find a good scope here.

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '06

User Info Menu

my 20c is get another nikko/lynx. i believe the weight helps out a bit, and i know you can trust it, well the lynx anyway...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

With the quality of rifles you have there, I wouldn't be wasting my time with Chinese optics.

I would start looking at USA sites and get a decent bit of glass that's going to last a lifetime (with a lifetime guarantee) at the utter minimum.

I think it was an overseas poster that said, the amount you spend on the rifle should go on the scope aswell. In my opinion that's good advise.

Also, world class shooters would get to pick their choice of scope out of a collection of the same models, leaving the duff / milky / stiff ones to be exported to SA.

<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Thu Aug 25 2005, 07:30PM ]</span>

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

How about something radical like a Zeiss scope.Has anybody tried 1 of those .The price would lead you to think it is a good product.Us poor buggers in SA we never get to see the excusive stuff.What a shame.
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Thu Aug 25 2005, 07:44PM ]</span>

psychoSven's Avatar psychoSven

zeiss sounds good, crystal stuff! like swarovsky also a beaut! but i dont think that the crystal lenses wil be so superior that you would want to go everywhere with a scope attached to ur head just to see clearer, he he. so i recon lynx or leaupold should be good!

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

mmm...I really think that a Zeiss or Swarovski is a waste of money for a riflescope..for birding or wildlife watching definitely worth the money though.
    How much time do you spend actually observing a metal field target thru a scope?
    Does your eye really get tired looking thru that Nikko?
    Nikkos\Leapers|\Lynxes..they are all OK for FT and any other discipline...leave the Swarovskis and Zeiss etc to the big game hunters

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

As i've got almost 24hrs a day to surf at the moment, I've looked at just about every scope on Earth. The problem is when you see something you really like it either doesnt have a Parallax wheel or you cant get it in the Mag and lens size that you want. Oh well, still have two weeks surfing time left, here we go again...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Brian, what about a leupold / Pemier 20X-50X 50mm LR Target Matte.Might be a bit pricey at $1K...
    That scope will last you a lifetime

http://www.premierreticles.com

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Leupolds can be so temperature sensitive that some shooters have 2 parallax settings for different weather.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I've also heard that story, but out to 50m that difference is tiny. At 800m that is a totally different story.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Brian wait till we are in England and you will find a great deal on a s/h Leupold. As far as Zeiss are concerned they are great for centerfire hunting rifles. My dad has one on his 300 win mag that works great for shooting at long distances (where optic quality starts making a huge differance) as Guido said.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Great. Now if I can only find a picture of one.....
    Went there several times, found the details but no visuals.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

AFAIK, Premier takes a brand new Leupold scope and up the mag. I don't know which one they use unforunately.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Was thinking about that Lewis. I suspect there may be several onsite stalls selling kit.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hey Guido, got an ETA yet? I know, Iknow, I'm just getting excited.