Thread: Diy Field Targets

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Diy Field Targets

Well fellow shootists I wanted a nice target to shoot at but the paper things just do not last and one has to reprint them, cost a bit so I scratched around on the web and saw some articals on making your own FT's so I decided to make on and it worked out well. I made a rat, called Ratty, see my photo gallery. The 3 shots were to test if it would fall if hit on the body and the fourth was in the kill zone and down it went. This was at 12 meters. The kill zone is only 30mm. I used a UltraTec with a 4X scope. I made it out of wood.

Anyone else make their own FT's?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Yup.
    But 3mm steel plate, they last forever and you don't have to keep them out of the rain!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Yes the next one will be stell plate as the wood will become leadded with as the shots pile up.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

The art work is great though!
    i.s.o cutting shapes, use 3mm X 150mm X 100mm squares, triangles to make the face plate with holes cut and fitted with paddles. Paste cardboard patterns onto the face plate. Spray black and Voila!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

ask the CAR guys to show you their target design.....
    i think MCJ made them, very impressive.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Put a large washer over the wooden hole - will last a lot longer... all those near misses will chew away at the wood... kind of like ratty eating himself....

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I made a whole bunch of Ft targets , 3 doves 2 bunnies 2 squirrels & 2 frogs .

Cut the designs out with jig saw , 3 mm steel . Bought a bunch of small hinges , hinged the animal , & hinged a paddle behind it . The holes vary between 32 mm & 16 mm . Drill & tap a small 4mm scew into animal . I bought a pack of elastic bands from Makro , about R 10 for a big bag . A roll of twine from Spar . I drilled holes in the base , & use a 6" nail to hold it firm . Now I can hunt Ft in my garden . After a couple of weeks the rubber bands perish , no prob bob , a new one on in a second .
    My first test animals were made of wood , but after a few dozen misses the head fell off my bunnie ! I glued it back on , put an off cut of masonite behind it , but it eventually became a model on the shelf . Thats when I got industrious & made the metal ones .
    Total cost minus time , realistically about R10.00 each , including hinges etc . A lot of the stuff was off cuts & left overs , mind you the aerosol paint is about R 40 per tin . A can of matt black & I used dayglo green on the paddles , just because .

I guess we shoot between 15 & 40 metres . I dont like to get too near neighbours , incase a ricochet gets in their pool or something . Dont need crap .

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Just show you about the cost. We pay R200/300+ and the only difference is ours have metal springs not rubber bands.Well done.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

yup, gerry's targets are pretty cool too!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

You are too kind , what you really mean is that I'm to snoep to spend money on proper ones !

That be the truth ! But its kinda fun to hunt in the garden ! Unfortunaely it has'nt helped me lately but I really need to practice ! Practice & more practice !

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

i like that froggy with the 25mm? KZ...........

what's the definition of a proper target anyways?????
    if it does what it suppose to do when hit, then imho it is the proper ones. so Gerry, if you plan to make more can i order 5 pls.