Thread: Field Target starter kit........

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Field Target starter kit........

hi all,

finally got the stock back (see pic) what do you guys think?
    opt for a light finish, but will prob use schaftol (the dark one) to give that light redish-brown "walnut" look some time down the line. i was actually surprised how much of a difference these 2 mods (cheek-piece and recoil pad) made. much more stable/comfortable. well worth the time and hard-earned.

just waiting for the big wheel to arrive........then i'm done.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Looks very good, reminds me of the S400 Classic I had.
    Is the cheekpiece adjustable ?
    How much for the recoilpad (without fitment)
    How much for the work that was done ?

I agree with you 100%, had exactly the same done to the S400 and it made a worlds difference. People have to do it to understand it ...
    cheers

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

I noticed a trange thing Urabus....
    Your barrel is very close to the air cylinder and you have that small piece of rubber wedged in to stop it rattling.
    On some pics of the BSA I have seen on the internet the gap is much bigger...is this a new version or perhaps the silencer adapter was missing?
    It sure looked like there was a big gap between barrel and cylinder.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

hi neilg,

i got the adj. recoil pad via the net (chambers). it retails for GBP 12.60, but the actual amont i paid for (+ corresponding shipping, duties..etc) is about R180. the cheek piece is adjustable (30mm) the parts + labour was R750, it can go higher, but i will need to get longer support rods. another R750 for the rest......strip varnish, oiled finish and repairs (i suppose i could have done this myself, i'm just lazy i guess) and the fitment of the recoil pad.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

hi guido,

yeah, it's a common "design fault" with the rifle version (the silencer adaptor touching the knurled cylinder end cap. with the carbine version the the barrel is longer relative to the cylinder (ie. that fat part of the adaptor is beyond the cylinder). and with the ms version the barrel is way above the cylinder, so no problem there. the known fix is to take a few mm's off the adaptor to restore the fully floating barrel. from the start i havn't noticed any compromise in accuracy. but then i thought it would be nice to have a fully floated barrel. however, i did the opposite (ie. off the end cap). unfortunatey, although the "floating" problem was solved (statically), the gap is not big enough and while handling the rifle (maybe it's the weight of the silencer), the adaptor is touching/knocking on the end cap resulted a irritating rattle. so what i did was to place a piece of rubber to stop the knocking. i guess it's now a semi-floating barrel........similar to the o-ring idea found in falcon's. again, no problems yet, as far as accuracy is concerned.

interestingly, daystate had similar problems with either the MKIII or was it Harrier X ???, where by design the barrel was suppose to "move-freely" in the 8 clamp. however, a similar noise problem became apparent........customers were worried that their barrels were loose...etc. the solution daystate came up with was to mount the barrel in a very, very small angle. so the moderator is actually pressed against the bottom of the top ring. and according to daystate, as long as there's room for movement (irrespective of which plane/direction), it's good enough.

i've never come across any complaints re accuracy of the 2 rifles above, so i guess either they're right (daystate), or the difference is so small that it's irrelevant.

i've actually got a spare end cap, and should i notice any problem in the accuracy department, i will do the "proper" fix. for now my hornet is doing just fine (what can i say, i'm lazy)

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I like the buttplate, will get myself 1 or 2 to use at a later stage ...

All you need now is a knee rest ...
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Fri Oct 22 2004, 03:25PM ]</span>

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

perhaps something like this.............just not sure about 'em standing shots with such deep and curved fore-end?????

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

These pics show the idea, but damn, it looks ugly.

I would go for something adjustable and more straight, the wrap around the knee definately wont help with standing shots

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

fully agree here.........don't know maybe it's a USA thing. i actually posted them to get reactions from yoy guys.
    i'm still experimenting with a few hand/arm postions, so just have to wait and see. never the less, i would also go for something that's adjustable, straighter...etc and definitly something that's not an eye sore.
    something like these................... the bottom one actually belongs to Casper (fellow bbs member).

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

This 'Recoilpad" just came off my milling machine( a.k.a Hacksaw, File & Drill ). Works very well and the rifle fits like a glove without movement.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

hey lewis,

funny thing, i was thinking about getting something like that just the otherday.............good stuff.