Thread: Gamo Auto 45

REP: The Airgun Shop

User Info Menu

Default Gamo Auto 45

I thought about getting myself a multishot, CO2 pistol after getting a decent rifle. It was actually my wife's idea. She think it is easier to handle than a rifle.

I know there are a lot of fancy guns out there, but cash is an issue and this pistol goes for about R700-R900.

Read some reviews about this gun at reviewcentre and it doesn't seem too bad, but after I read the awsome reviews about my own crappy rifle, I don't trust those bastards anymore. ~

I don't want to buy another piece of crap... I learned that lesson the first time.
    So back to the experts... what do you guys think about this gun.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

awful

a glock 26 copy but not quite.

many co2 pistol in the market but only few model close to realism. those few model are worth to keep.

User Info Menu

Whoooaah !!! Stop right there!!!

I'm not looking for a replica of anything. For all I care it can look like a waterpistol. I just want to know about the value for money, durability and accuracy.

Ogre's Avatar Ogre

Value for money can be found in the Gamo Compact (Single-stroke Pneumatic - not CO2). It is designed to be a target pistol, and it does just that.

Off a bench I can put pellet on pellet (well almost) at 10m.

It's great to invite mates around and shoot at proper 10m targets abiding to olympics rules (target height = 1.4m, one handed hold etc) - It's like having a game of darts.

It also goes to show just how skilled the top shots are. Try it for yourself and you'll see what I mean. The highest score ever achieved is 593/600.

Back to the Compact - an olympic coach has recommended going for the Compact until you can shoot 85% (I guess the gun's ability). By that time you will know whether you are prepared to invest in a "real" gun (FWB etc.) which is going to set you back about 10x the price of the Compact. The coach said that the difference that a FWB (or equiv.) will make is about 10% - that means that if you're shooting 510/600 with a Compact, you should be able to shoot 570 with the FWB all things equal.

You mentioned your wife. Just check out first whether she can cock the gun first (if it's for her), as it does take a fair amount of strength to close it. And BEWARE!! they can bite, if you're not careful.

User Info Menu

My wife struggles with the rifle, so everytime I use the rifle and she is there she will most likely use the pistol.
    So if I fight really hard, I might get some playtime with it as well.

No here is the problem... The pistols tend to "bite" and my wife is an accident looking for a place to happen. Trust me, we will spend more time at the doctor than at the shooting range.

You see why I think the CO2 is a better option?

I would also like to buy the Compact for target shooting purposes, but I think a reliable CO2 pistol will work fine for her and I'm sure I will enjoy it as well. I just don't want one of those guns that limits you to using BB's.

Apparently the Auto 45 can use any normal pellet in single shot mode.

Just found an article from [link=http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_5_46/ai_60897667]Gun Magazine[/link], but would still like to hear what you guys have to say. Is there any other similar gunsin the same price range?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

i'm very happy with the CP99, iirc it's slightly more, but not much????? quality plinker

8 shot mag, .177" pellets, single or double action, de-cock button, safety and optional lazer.

<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Thu Sep 08 2005, 03:26PM ]</span>

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I like walther CP99 compact and Baikal MP-654K

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Myself and a friend have the Gamo PT80.+/- R800 when I got it.ot bad for fun.I am impressed with its accuracy.The mag does not always rotate properly.Nice plinker in my opinion.
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Thu Sep 08 2005, 08:23PM ]</span>

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

i'm with boondock on this one.........but the question is when will the ZA importer bring them in.

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Sharp Edge had an ad March 2005 Baikal MP651K Pistol/Rifle R1080.00 >They may be willing to get the Baikal MP-654K for you.Walther they had at R1400.00 CP99.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

thx. alan

last night i was about to order a cp99 compact @ US$86 from http://www.pyramydair.com. but the stupid delivery method they use is Worldwide Express. cost another US$180! my talon also ordered from USA and only cost US$90 postage from US MAIL SERVICE. talon is much heaver than cp99 compact.

so the cp99 compact become to total US$266 + local vat + handle fee. which is not good price any more. had to cancell it and do some more search....

<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Fri Sep 09 2005, 02:07PM ]</span>

Louis's Avatar Louis

Great to see reviving interest in Air Pistol shooting.----5 shot rapid fire guns are the rage in the UK and Europe. In Britain they shoot sport pistol at 25 metres and scores are already higher than with the previous .22 pistols.There is also a 10m 5shot falling flap target event which is also great but very demanding----5 shots in 10 seconds x40 and x60.
    Rules for this event appear in new ISSF. rulebook.
    Also pistols are in final stage of development for FT and MS events----here soon too!
    Cheap guns nice to start with but will be very frustrating in abovementioned disciplines i.e. flap target has 30mm hit zone, nothing else not even a 9.
    Germans are shooting 390+.
    In the USA the Bianci guys shoot an event called Airstrike also plenty exciting.
    Keep up the good work .

Ogre's Avatar Ogre

CP99 more "solid", bit more expensive.

Ogre's Avatar Ogre

Rather - more expensive.