Thread: Releasing the Shot - Info Needed (Posted By louis)

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Releasing the Shot - Info Needed (Posted By louis)

Information is needed to supplement an already in depth study Mike Potgieter has done on above topic albeit for other shooting codes.

Hi Guys, It would be highly appreciated if you could give your thought process when releasing the shot in Field Target application.

Question?
    Describe how you release the shot?
    What happens lets say 15 seconds before release?
    The release?
    The follow through?
    Special technics----breathing----rhythm----trigger pressure----time on target and any other contributio not mentioned here?
    Taking into mind that all officiaL theories are on record your own experience is what is required for this research.

Louis

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

With out trying to break down the whole breathing etc etc sequence of events, I do notice that I develop a sort of tunnel view when using open sights. The rest of the world is shut out. The experience with a scope is somewhat different. I am already in the zone when the scope is at my eye. I do not think that my other eye is doing much else - I think having both open is less tiring.

But it is probably like golf (oh no not that again) If you start thinking about it you sort of come undone.

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

I think I cant help here.I use the mick en drick method.I would not mind reading some replies from the pro's to pick up my game.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

With 10m I go through the following motion.
    Confirm automatic direction, breathe twice, confirm target, 2 shallow abdominal breaths, both eys open, wait for total relaxation while taking up slack on trigger. On perfect sight the trigger is squeesed, Follow through and I try and call the "Break" point of the release.

ITO FT the magnification and range distance variable makes it difficult as an individual to shoot consistantly due to changing position and variable conditions. I still try and forget the release while concentrating on the sight picture.....

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Rough Lineup, relax, fine lineup, deep breath, release half of it, hold and settle, no more than 5 seconds if possible, my head starts to bob after that.
    Sqeeze dont pull
    Hold position and watch the impact
    Release trigger and swear under my breath.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Coming from an archery background, I apply the exact essential technique for consistent shooting - not knowing when the shot goes off...

With air rifle as in archery, the low velocity means that movement on firing has a huge impact on the result. In archery, all top shooters thus use a trigger/style where one cannot anticipate the shot. You slowly pull and it will suddenly fire at an unknown point. The surprise means one does not anticipate the shot at all. It takes some getting used to.

I am trying to do the same with the air rifle. Slowly squeeze until the shot goes off - I don't know exactly when... As with archery, you end up being able to group as well as yoiu can aim. Ie. if you can hold the sight on a 5c peice at 20m, then u will group on a 5c piece. From then on, one practices aiming, not shooting...

Ogre's Avatar Ogre

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Describe how you release the shot?
    Taken up first stage, then quick pull.

What happens lets say 15 seconds before release?
    Wondering wether or not my range finding is correct.

The release?
    eh? The pellets gone, you can't put the sh1t back into the horse.

The follow through?
    Don't believe in follow through. Purely watch the scoped target coz I can't see it without my glasses on.

Special technics----breathing----rhythm----trigger pressure----time on target and any other contributio not mentioned here?
    Wait for the crosshairs to cross the kill zone, get the shot done before I pass out from lack of oxygen.