Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teaching ones son to shoot

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Teaching ones son to shoot

I have started to teach my son to shoot and he is starting fairly well. He took 3 shots last night when I was testing out my home made spinner type targets. I placed a Coke tin on the ground at the foot of the stand and he hit it well. He hissed the spiner but they are about 2.5 cm. I will coach his some more and see how he gets on. It is a nice feeling teaching someone to shoot. It also takes me back to when I learned to shoot but it was not my Father but a cuz of mine and he taught me with a .22 rim fire. !amazed

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

With me it was the other way around. I thought I'm going to teach my daughter to shoor and she out shot by a mile within a month.The up side is that I could hand all my equipment over to her and get better/bigger to "break in" for her and slowly make her used to it.(Or so I told her mom, in any case)

REP: The Airgun Shop

User Info Menu

You guys are extremely lucky... tried to teach my laaitie, but with him being totally hyper, it is almost impossible.

You can't get him to sit still long enough to take aim at something or to explain to him how the gun works, why his mother is going to moer him if he shoots the dog, etc.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Can sympathize with Farmer as I have been introducing my youngster to shooting (helped motivate for the expenditure in the first place) and battle to get him to be still/concentrate for any length of time as he is also hyper. He shows interest allthough prefers targets that react (not the dog). Stock length is a bit of a problem at this stage (under armpit arrangement).

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Both you guys will benifit by Perseverance. You will be surprised by how much they calm down while concentration improves when they get the nack of things.Keep at it at, all cost, you will not be sorry, it is much healthier than medication!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

The way I started is for him to shoot at a cooldrink can and the sound as well as the entrance and exit holes seem to give him some fun in the shoot. I do not shoot any live "targets" except for the usual pests such as rats, mice and certain types of birds.

My small range has some metal animals and a spinning disk target but they are still a little hard for him to hit as their size is small because of lack of space the small targets help for when has to go for normal size targets at longer range.

Found another local here who also enjoys shooting and we will be getting together for a shoot some day.

Going to look if a few more can be found and we then can get something going, maybe.

User Info Menu

I found that useing a red dot reflex site works wonders when they have a hard time with the longer rifles.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I've tried getting my oldest to shoot. Rifle is still way to big for him and he looses interest if he doesnt hit the can. Never thought of mounting a red dot sight though. Might try that and see how it works.

User Info Menu

My kid couldn't even hit the tree behind the target

So I bought 1 of those R120 red dot sights... after that he could actually hit a beer can with every shot at about 15m

I kneel next to him and let him fire from a kneeling or sitting position, using my knee as a rest. Works well...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Where did you get a sight for R120?

MCJ's Avatar MCJ

I have started with my girl (8 years) as well. I assemble the Bi-pod onto my S400. For me the idea is to get her to hit the target (FT targets that is) and get her interrested into the sport. I assist in telling her where to aim and adjust the rifle for her but the aiming part and trigger "control" is her own. Some of the guys on this forum will remeber that she actually knock down a couple of targets at CAR's first shoot. (nothing counts, but she thinks it does and that is what is important)

The targets must be fun. I have found a list and will post it in a new thread (not to hi-jack this thread).

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I bit of an update.

He is getting on quite well. We had a shoot out last night, 5 shots each and he beat me by 5 points. The target we used was one of those combat type of a man holding a gun. Not bad going. I think he will get a lot better once he learns the trick of off aiming to correct for windage and diffrent angels one shoots from. I adjested the scoop a bit more and it is looking good.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

For Spyker. The scope came from our local gun shop. It is a 4X20 and is fine but not the greatest but does the job well on the Ultratec. It is rated for airguns. I do find that it could have a more of the up and down adjustement range.

ducati's Avatar ducati

SA Schools have an excellent international programme ....3 P Air.... most schools will also accept kids from schools who do not provide facilties.It appears that more than 3000 scholars are already participating. SA Hunters are also supporting this programme.SA Schools will be sending first 3 P team to UK next year for Int. event.
    Shooting can be a lifetime experience... get your kids involved.... the younger they start the better!

MOT: Thomson Pneumatic Rifles

User Info Menu

A word to the wise, get a rifle that fits the kid!! You can still fly that one past the wife as it is something you can do together, which doesent happen much these days!! Don't try and teach a child to shoot an adults rifle as they will just learn bad habits and lose interest. I your rifle was an excuse then you are missing the point!