Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saturday Sortie

ice's Avatar ice

Default Saturday Sortie

Got up at 05:00 this morning. No wind, perfect day. Ater about 3hours of walking, sweating, cursing me and Gert had good success and manage to bag these.

This is one of the toughest airgun quarry i have ever hunted. They require a head or neck shot at fairly close range.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Hey Ice....I wanna come too man...
    Hey..there's my old hand stippled S400 hehe
    Guido

ice's Avatar ice

You'll be invited to the next one, promise.

Kinda miss the Talon's long range take down power,
    but the accuracy of MY S400 is very good and as you
    very well know - headshots up to 50m, no problem.

Would love to see your double deuce 24" in action on these "pigeons", suppose you'll be able to pull up their handbrakes at longer ranges.

Next outing is a "dassie trip" for two days, sleep over thing on a farm in Worcester. ". These little buggers is causing a lot of damage on friend's farm. How can we call ourself friends and not help him out?? he he.

Can we -ahem you up the power on the S400 just a
    teeny bit, want to keep at least 50 shot capacity per fill? or is this looking for trouble - no details on site i know, but
    you'll have to do the tinkering anyway, so don't explain it to me. :messed:

Later.

ice

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi, Ice,

I am interested to know how you got close enough to kill those guineafowl, because I know them to be very wide awake and easily spooked. Agree on the tough part - I have shot a few with .22 rimfire and a hit in the right spot is essential. If you are going to eat them yourself, they take a long time to cook properly...

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Hi Ice
    I never got a chance to up the power on the S400 but Casper explained how to do it.
    Unfortunately it is not as easy as on the S200 or the Talons...it involves removing the air cylinder and screwing out the firing pot.
    Should get those Barracudas up to 880fps no problem though for a good 45 shots or so.
    Perhaps Casper can elaborate??

Cheers

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Guido,

Ice brought me his 400 to change the bolt for a lefty and do the power. I will email Kevin to get the exact specs and play with it this week. Will let you know on what volumes I get different power levels.
    Good news, I found a FT range just of the R300 and N1. Will get 13 more targets and arange a shoot before the end of this month.

ice's Avatar ice

Hi Kobus

We normally do the stalking thing, where Gert chase them my way and vise versa. They don't like to fly, because they use too much energy, but they can run like hell!!

During midday, especially on hot days, they like to lay down in the shady patches, where it's difficult to see them, but if you know where to look, you'll have a shot at fairly close range. Gert put down one "napper" at under 30 yards. The rest was shot between 40 and 55 yards.

I don't cook them myself, but a friend of mine made some pies with the last batch and it's very tasty. Don't know the recipe, but he used red wine for marinade and bacon.
    :beer:
    Cheers

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Ice, Guido,

isn't that MY old S400, with my old Lynx Mounts and my old Hawke Varmint 8-32 ?

hahaha
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Mon Nov 08 2004, 04:24 ]</span>

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

that's the one...except the stock has been stippled, the varnish removed and that horrible curved fore-end straightened...all finished in London Oil and waxed

ice's Avatar ice

No No No - it's my secondhand S400, with my stippled stock, vanish removed, straightened for end, my mounts, my scope and my brass lefhanded bolt, Thank you very much. I know it's very nice, but it's mine and no one can have it back, touch it or shoot it. I will sue!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Ice,
    you seem to have become EXTREMELY attached to YOUR S400 with all the blah blah blah.
    Well, what can I say, sometimes I still miss YOUR S400 ...
    Very nice gun, hope your enjoying it !

ice's Avatar ice

ha haa, you're getting it, one can never be too careful these days, look what's happening to some unfortunate landowners with the ongoing "land reform project".

We can always organise re allocation of Guido's "old old njr" 8)

Cheers

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

BTW Neil how is the reg doing on the NJR?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Make that MY NJR (as in Neil's)
    ANY Offers on NJR ????
    Old Old, but in better condition than most new new .... Accurate ....
    Working on the REG ...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Went hunting this weekend and shot a very unlikley quarry. Managed to bag a 2.1M Water Leguan.Head shot at +- 10M with dead rest..Stopped him dead in his tracks with Cheap chinese Domed Pellets and the Norica West With Hawke 3 to 10 * 50 Scope.

Spent the rest of the day chasing guineafowl all over the place, Man they are difficult to get close to.