Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One for Boondock

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Default One for Boondock

I remember quite a while back on here discussing various fun pistols with Boondock and the subject of air soft guns was covered, unfortunately I can't find the thread so I thought this might be of interest:

This is a copy of a Colt Government Model manufactured by Western Arms in Japan. Externally the pistol is primarily plastic, albeit with a very realistic looking finish, but contains many metal components so when handled the weight is pretty much the same as the genuine article.

The pistol is powered from a gas resevoir housed in the magazine, which also house the mgazine for the 6mm ball ammo. When fired the slide blows back as per the genuine item and locks open upon the last shot being fired. The pistol has a noticeable recoil approximately the same as felt firing a decent .22 pistol. All the controls on this replica work as per the controls on the real model 1911 pistol.

Accuracy from this pistol is pretty reasonable, I have got rapid fire groups of about 40mm at 10 metres and it has sufficient power to cleanly penetrate a cardboard IPSC item target out to around 20 metres.

Since the UK ban on handguns in 1997, this sort of pistol has kept practical pistol alive in the UK.

Dale

<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited ]</span>

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

dale. it's a very cool gun indeed.

Western arms production have great reputation about reliability and accurecy. many airsoft IPSC shooters use WA guns. personally i think it will be ideal for practice and combat simulation. only drawback is not compatible with green gas (propane).

at moment there is no other gas available in SA to refill aifsoft yet. the only gas might use is propane(also known as comping gas). after many hours googling around on net i finally ordered a KJ works GLOCK. it might arrive next week and will post report.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I had a few shots with Dale's pistol whilst in England. It is GREAT. Loved the blowback system and it feels and looks like the real thing. Did a few double taps and I'm defenately buying one next year.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Lewis, picked out your xmas present already have you???

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

The main reason I went for the Colt 1911 copy was that I lost an almost identical pistol to the handgun ban along with my much loved Taurus Mod66 .357 Magnum and My Ruger Redhawk .44 Magnum.

So nostalgia plays a big part in my owning this pistol.

Boondock as you quite rightly say given the accuracy of the copies and that the controls function the same as on the genuine firearm they do make great trainers - plus they are serious FUN.

In respect of my lost Taurus, I was lucky enough to acquire one of the limited run (prior to yet another ban in the UK) of air cartridge revolvers that they made:

This uses cartridges the size of a .38 special round which are individual pcp reservoir/firing valve assembly with a pellet housed in a nose cone at the front and loaded like a centrefire round. More fun, but unfortunately th UK government have banned the manufacture and sale of these guns now, although existing owners were given the option of continiuing to own them on a firearms licence.

Dale

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Dale, with regards to the handgun ban. Does this mean nobody can by handguns anynore? Not even if you have a FAC ticket?

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Dieter,

Fundamentally that is the case.

In order to define a handgun the government chose to word the definition as a firearm with a barrel less than 12 inches (300mm) in length and an overall length of less than 24 inches (600mm) is now a prohibited weapon.

Muzzle loading pistols were not covered by this legislation and can still be owned (on an FAC), however any rimfire or centrefire firearm that fell beneath these limitations (other than a pistol of an antique or obsolete calibre) is banned unless there are exceptional circumstances (slaughtermen and a few others).

Dale

<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Wed Oct 12 2005, 08:55AM ]</span>

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Would like a PDA phone like yours for Christmas Spyker. Will buy the pistol when we can freely get the gas (for the blowback system) here.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Don't they use normal CO2 capsules?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

We are currently awaiting the first shipment of gas blow back handguns - should be here next week if all goes well. We are pretty sure we have solved the gas issue & will be importing not only the handguns but also the SMG's eg Mp5, AK47 etc. They are going to be used for training & tactical games. Will hopefully have some at the next shoot here in Cape Town to demo. Please give me a shout if you are interested.

Go have a look at http://www.planetairsoft.net - check out the gallery especially the personal pics to see how extreme some people go.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Spyker - there are some of the 6mm that do use co2 but it becomes expensive. Also some of the guns run on HFC134a - Freon - and can't take those pressures.

We are bringing in the Top gas/Green Gas compatible ones - that gas is propane with deoderant - so they have lots of metal parts.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I'm interested , I like the pistols & would'nt mind an AK for sure !

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Hi Dieter,

This is one of the CO2 powered soft air pistols:

This is a copy of the Smith & Wesson Sigma .40S&W pistol. The extended magazine houses a normal 12gm CO2 capsule, firing valve assembly and ball magazine. It is a reasonably well made pistol but to be honest not as nice as the Western Arms guns, quite powerful as they go, I chronoed this one at around 400fps.

Dale
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Thu Oct 13 2005, 09:05AM ]</span>

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Very nice!!
    What sort of penetration do you get?

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Cleanly through a card IPSC item target at around 25 metres.