Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Falcon FN19-TRL

MOT: Thomson Pneumatic Rifles

User Info Menu

Default Falcon FN19-TRL

Hi Guys,

Here is a rifle I hope to be shooting with soon (please check my albums, How do I link a pic from Image Gallery??).
    Not a well know rifle, but one of very good make, nearly all of thier production runs go to the USA.

It looks like I will have to get in a lot more FT practice to put the rifle to good use, tough life!

Has anyone else had the pleasure of shooting/ owning one??

User Info Menu

PS to first post of thread.

The retail price of the rifle here (SA) is under 10K and is comparable to the other dedicated FT rifles on offer here as far as performance goes, without the price tag!!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

i had a go with the falcon a while back.

imho, shoot it side by side with a S400/BSA Hornet b4 u decide.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Warrick,
    Hennie had one some time ago and he brought it along to Durban Deep.Some guys shot it, I only held it and handled it a bit. M H O is that I can't find any fault with it, without shooting it. If anybody feels that it needs tweaking I suppose it would be much cheaper to do that than to buy expensive equipment that is light years ahead of my shooting ability. I say again: When you outshoot your present rifle, invest in the heavy stuff, unless you can effort to collect expensive toys. I can't see why this rifle, like most others, will not suffice for the newby down the road, that has a bit more moola to his disposal.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

i'm sure it's suffice for FT...........but then so is a BAM with stock mod.

given i only had a few shots, and i shot it as it was.....no adj
    of the stock/trigger...etc or maybe it's a lemon.

imho, it needs tweaking not up it to EV2/Steyr level but to the level of S400/Hornet. Brian was kind enough to let me try his EV2 at the same time........and there's no comparison period.

my point is that is the FT stock, the need for tweaking (?) and the fact that one basically buying a previous generation PCP worth the premium over a S400?

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Warrick,

I don't currently own a Falcon rifle, although I do have a nice Falcon FN-8 pistol:

I have owned a few Falcons (and their predecessor Titan's) over the years and they have been nice rifles. They were primarily designed as a lightweight hunting rifle, but found favuor among FT shooters as well. I just found them a bit on the light side, although the variant you are considering would compensate for that with the heavy stock as fitted. This model should also have the match trigger unit as standard which is more sensitive than the standard sporter unit.

In terms of a 'previous generation pcp' as long as the action will give the number of shots you require with good accuracy and consistency it doesn't matter a damn what generation the gun is. Its suitability for FT is more down to the type of stock and scope that is fitted to it.

For example look at the rifle I use as my main FT rifle it is a modified S400. I use this rifle in preference to the Pro-Target that I used to own even though it is the more basic action.

I have recently had both an EV2 and a Steyr LG100 through my hands but I still stick with the S400 - why - because it does the job - no flashiness, no gadgets, no whistles and no bells just basic accuracy and reliability.

Incidentally Falcon are now owned by NSP, the company that owns Air Arms, Falcon retains its own identity and John Cooper is a real gent to deal with if you need to get information on the rifles.

Dale

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Dale, you're not knocking my new Steyr are you???

But I do agree with you. If the rifle does the job, then stick to it. A more expensive one isn't going to make you shoot better..

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Dieter,

No not knocking your rifle I quite like the Steyr and the EV2, my point is that people convince themselves that rifles like that are the panacea to their shooting, whereas learning to shoot their rifle is more beneficial.

Now who can we think of on this forum who has done just that in a what about this, what about that sort of way

To be perfectly honest I think in the past the best FT shooters were the ones who started on a spring gun and graduated to pre-charged. These guys, likes of Nick Jenkinson for instance really learned their stuff but did not go gadget crazy. There is still a lot to be learned from what they did.

Dale

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

re: "previous generation", all i'm trying to say is why bother if one can get the newer/improved design for the same or less money. given the choice is based on functionality/performance only.......maybe it's just me.......... eg. for the same money new huntsman mk2 (assume still available) or the harrier X2??????

ducati's Avatar ducati

Dale is giving good advice ...listen! Once you have a good rifle inc. scope and stock stick with it .Part of becoming an outstanding shooter is practising intelligently and building muscle memory ....a new thing in your hands just prolongs the process.What confuses one though is that first shoot with the new baby ...and because of this excitement one has... the score is great but then the wheels come off and the slog starts again.The most difficult of all shooting disciplines are those governed by the ISSF....at the Olympics for instance many if not most medallists shoot guns which they have been using for years.Christiaan Klees won prone at the 96 Olympics with an obscure combination, the barrel coming from the 60,s.....and so there are many such instances.....if it aint broke don,t fix it.....but new toys are so nice to have .....a trap and great for business.
    Tough... but one cannot buy a short cut to the perfect score.
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Fri Oct 14 2005, 08:09PM ]</span>

User Info Menu

Ahmen Brother Dale! Its always comes down to the jerk behind the trigger. I see it all the time at my range, big money, big name gun, no mechanics. Teach the basics and all of a sudden they can shoot.
    I think a lot of the current rifles have become a fashion item.
    A great rifle will improve your shooting 10% if your are so so, an accurate midrange rifle in the hands of a fine shot will not hamper him or her, this to I have seen many times.
    Hope to give a report back on it (FN19TRL) in the near future.
    Cheers

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

my choice, S400 custom with the CS1000 stock,

[link=hyperlink url]http://www.aocc61.dsl.pipex.com/products.htm
    [/link]

look familiar?

.................even one's most used set-up, was once a new purchase. is it not?????

the S4X0 series are brilliant, i know i have one........
    hey warrick keep us updated on the review, tks

i suppose they are 2 types of FT'ers........
    the purists.......looking for that perfect score old school method, very karate kid/zen like.......

then there's someone like me
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Fri Oct 14 2005, 10:29PM ]</span>

ducati's Avatar ducati

Right ....we are being too pedantic ....most golfers play because they enjoy the game and that is why the sport is so successfull.... that,s possibly why FT is so successfull.. it is attracting people with a new attitude and that is very good for shooting as some of us.. myself included have become too serious ....that,s the price one pays when a sport becomes professional....the real fun is lost....

Louis's Avatar Louis

Hi Ducati....my but you are modest....congrats on being chosen as RAU,s (Jhb Univ....I think? ) runnerup Sportsman of the year.... the first time a shooter has done this well.
    You and Dale must please continue telling us what the Pro,s do.That,s how we all learn and Urabus ...your,e great! ...you are going to attract many new faces to the sport.
    This forum is a wonderful vehicle in uniting shooters.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi guys,

In respect of my comments, I am not saying that anyone should not buy the mega expensive 'formula 1' type kit. At the end of the day its your money and your choice.

However what I am trying to say is that do not confuse 'NEED' with 'WANT'. In terms of what you need from a rifle for FT it is realistically a lot simpler than you might think. To add excess complexity at an early stage does not necessarily confer an advantage to you, indeed it can have an opposite effect.

If you don't believe this take a look at the rifles that have won a lot of the Worlds. I think 2004 was the first year a modified 10m rifle has featured. Mostly it has been simpler actions in fairly basic wood FT pattern stocks.

Regards

Dale (logged in at Jamie's pc)