Thread: ADI (Attitude Director Indicator)

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default ADI (Attitude Director Indicator)

Besides airgunning as a hobby my other passion is flying.Though not a real pilot but rather a virtual one.On most aircraft besides microlytes one would find an instument called the Attitude Director Indicator.This instrument provides an artificial horizon and an aircraft symbol so you can tell the attitude or orientation of the aircraft relative to the earth.It is represented as a round ball normally in the centre of the instument panel which displays aircraft pitch and roll information.The ball represents the earth and the horizontal line through the ball is the horizon line. I am sure that there are miniature ADI's somewhere in this world.Would it not be great to mount one of these onto ones airgun and you could then be able to check your angle/s in both the horizontal and vertical planes thereby aiding your shooting a great deal.Let's say someone manufactures a ADI about 2cm in diameter and you mount this via a clamp/bracket on your gun eg.on the main body of your scope using a concept similar to a laser/lamp mount but only to accommodate this ADI. I would love to hear thoughts and ideas from fellow members on this forum.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I know some guys have spirit levels that screw into the scope clamps then they add a ACI, angle cosine indicator - nice write up here...

http://www.snipertools.com/aci.htm

Still would be nice like you said, an all-in-one gadget the size of a marble.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Great idea. The text would be a bit small for my liking, or my eyesight.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Not really Brian.The vertical lines would read out as degrees ie.10,20,30,40 up or down.The horizontal line would be interpreted as a virtual spirit level.In my opinion it would be the same as looking thru a 4X32 scope in real size terms.
    Many times I sit and wonder how air rifles have advanced over the past 20 years to the point that they can unquestionably be regarded as the MOST TECHNOLOGICALLY ADVANCED guns in the world today.This is a quantum leap forward towards the future and more so the 21st century and our sport is at the cutting edge of gun development.Olympic 50m shooters could not even hope to come close to the groups which even our average air rifle pcp shooters can achieve at this distance.Yes,they shoot with open sights and we shoot with scopes.They shoot indoors and we shoot outdoors.Their bullets lack trajectory whilst we have to compensate for ours.So at the end of the day the pros and cons seem to cancel each other to some extent with regard to each discipline but it is unquestionable that air rifles hit the bullseye time and again when it comes to accuracy.We really are a unique bunch of followers on this planet and we should all collectively look at advancing our sport to unparalelled levels of exellence.Maybe Discovery Channel should host a program on air rifles under extreme machines.