Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AA S400 Classic VS BSA Hornet

ZS5Lee's Avatar ZS5Lee

Default AA S400 Classic VS BSA Hornet

I am looking to purchase my first PCP to be used for FT and Plinking in the back yard and would like to know the pros and cons for both of these PCP's.
    Information on the multishot versions would also be appreciated.

Thanks

Lee

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

AA 400 cannot be compared to the BSA Hornet. The BSA is not bad but the AA is FAR better. Rather use the extra cash that you would spend on a multishot to get a better scope.

SAFTAA Chairman
    Protea FT Team '12/'16

User Info Menu

Hi ZS5Lee, contact Warrick, one of the members, he puts guns together and he can show you a couple of guns that will be the best for you.

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

I have both ZS5Lee .AA s400 is far better.BSA has a nice regulator.I have had loads of problems with the BSA.BSA multishot is not reliable.Out of 10 pellets you use only 6-7.AA S400 single shot has never let me down.You will however have to learn your sweet spot.All you need for that is a chrono

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

The AA can be tuned to be more consistant than most regulated rifles. After my x 410 was tuned it gave an extreme spread of just 6 fps over 60 shots.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

As a rifle for FT and general shooting the S400 is difficult to beat in terms of accuracy, reliability, consistency and value for money.

The trigger is a genuine two stage pattern, and since the general upgrade to the three sear pattern is capable of match grade pull characteristics.

The S400 also has potential for upgrading as well with different length reservoirs and muzzle brakes to improve further its handling characteristics.

The above rifle started life as a walnut stocked S400 Classic but has since had the cheekpiece raised and a 520mm reservoir and brass muzzle weight added. This action now serves as my reserve FT action should my main FT rifle, which is also a modified S400 that is fitted with a dedicated FT stock, give a problem.

In terms of the multi-shot system the AA system uses a very simple magazine that does not use any kind of internal spring / ratchet system to rotate and so is very reliable. The only thing you might notice is that cocking effort on an S410 is slightly higher as operating the bolt also operates the magazine indexing mechanism. The other thing about the multi-shot is the extra cost - for what you are looking to do you would be better to spend extra money on the scope and go with the single shot S400.

Dale

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

DAle, you have the Leupold on your backup rifle???
    What do you have on the other one then?

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

The 20-50x50 Leupold is on my main FT rifle, the 32x Mk4 has now moved to the above rifle and the 6.5-20x40EFR in the photo now resides on my TX200.

Dale

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

hi lee,

i'm not going up to GP to shoot this weekend.......see u at the range sat afternoon? i will bring both

there's really nothing in it between the 12ftlbs versions of S400 and Hornet re accuracy/consistency......etc. (fac detuned versions......it really depend on the tuner). it's really down to personal preference on weight/design/fit/shape.......etc

having said that the AA just does it so easily.........with out the need for regulators, thick free-floating barrels.........etc.
    it's easier to work on (AA), and there are more parts available. another point to consider is that AA local back-up and product knowledge is far more superior.

i don't work for AA, nor get any kick backs from them (maybe i should?) and i've got both S4x0 and Hornet in my airgun collection.......

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

You like the Leupolds, don't you?

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Dieter,

I demand quality and reliability from the equipment I use. I have never once had a Leupold break or otherwise let me down in competition, something that I can't say for some of the cheaper optics I have owned in the past.

Also Leupold were one of the few makes back when I first started shooting FT that offered the sort of high magnification (and high quality) scopes that we were looking for and I have just stuck with the brand ever since.

One of my 6.5-20x40 Vari-XIII's I bought second hand in 1990 and it is still going strong - that is why I like them.

As far as I am concerned there are only three kinds of scope - Vari-XII's, Vari-XIII's and Mk4's. You might ask me what sort of rifle is that under that Leupold scope? 8)

In all fairness however other cheaper brands are getting much better nowadays.

Dale
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Fri Oct 14 2005, 10:05AM ]</span>

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I know what you mean..I wanted the best scope for my new Steyr, so I bought a Leupold..
    Can't go wrong with that..

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

i have had both BSA and s400 and i would tell you to for the s400 it has a better quality in my opinion both are equal in accuracy IMO but things like the poor quality chequering put me off also the cocking nob wears away the blueing on the culinder which makes it look a bit crap

ZS5Lee's Avatar ZS5Lee

This is what they dont tell you in the magazines.
    Thanks for all the information guys, keep it comming.

What other good Makes / Models should one look at in the same price range as the S400/S410 or is this hands down the best value for money ?

ZS5Lee's Avatar ZS5Lee

Hi Hardy.

What time in the afternoon you going to the range ?
    See you there.