Thread: Help Needed

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Help Needed

Howdy cowboys.
    My brother is coming down from England in December.Wants to bring a pcp with him.Which procedures shoul be followed and which airlines are the most user friendly wrt pcp cargo.
    Also,is he allowed to bring in a silencer with the gun.NB.the rifle will literally be brand new.Does he need a certificate to prove that the cylinder is depressurised.Any other advice would be appreciated.Dale,I think you've got the most experience in this form of transportation.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

more importantly.......which rifle are you getting for x'mas???

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Before you leave the UK get Customs to give you a declaration that its coming back into the UK.
    Take yourself and the gun to check-in, tell them you have a fire-arm (Air rifle). They will hand it over to security and give you a copy of the paperwork which you better not lose or they wont give it to you in JHB, sorry Capetown. Go to the Baggage desk in C/T, tell them you want your toy, they will check the Cal. Do the reverse when you go back. Repeat, do not lose your paperwork. Shoot out the air before going to the Airport. Job done, nice holiday, everybody happy.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Hi Falcon,

Is he planning to take the rifle back to the UK with him?

I brought a rifle into SA for Neilg, the procedure was pretty simple, I let the airline know well in advance that I was transporting.

When I got to check in I was dragged halfway round Terminal 2 at Heathrow to find a customs officer who could confirm that said item was an air rifle, wherweupon the case was closed and sealed then handed over to the airline to deal with.

At Jo'burg I retrieved my baggage off the normal belt and got directed to a separate belt where other items were coming out. I spotted the box and went to grab it, an airport worker told me I would need a security officer present so I pulled out the copy of the FCA that I had downloaded to prove that an air rifle was not a firearm - so he just let me take it. Went to go through red channel at customs but the official at the entrance stopped me and asked what the item was, on hearing .177 air rifle he directed me through green channel without requiring to see it.

On the same visit I took an old Webley Mk1 air pistol back to the UK and had a lot less hassle at Jo'burg checking in with it in my hold luggage than coming out of Heathrow.

The airline used on that occasion was Lufthansa.

Hope that helps.

Dale

PS - forgot to add the rifle had a silencer fitted and I drained all the air out prior to packing it. also make well sure he is aware of the calibre restriction under SA law.

<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Wed Nov 09 2005, 03:21PM ]</span>

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Then I suppose he would then have to pay import duties cos the rifle will stay here.
    Regulator Blocks Postal Ban.
    "Plans to prohibit the carriage of firearms and components in the post have been abandoned.The postal services regulator Postcomm said that,following a consultation,it will not agree to the proposal by the Royal Mail.
    BASC and other organisations submitted their views to the consultation.Postcom said most respondents were against the plans,and had pointed out flaws in the Royal Mail's argument;including the level and increased cost of services which would have been available to those sending legal firearms,such as air rifles,through the post,and the lack of reasoning behind a possible ban on component parts."
    -Shooting Sports October 2005 P.8
    Dale,how would this affect us in a foreign country outside of the UK for the importation of air rifle parts etc?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I don't want to sing my song again but I have been in the importation game long enough to know that buying from a dealer locally is safer than to try and save a buck here and there and then loose everything in the end. In most cases it is easy to bring a air rifle in. When asked what it is call it a PELLET GUN OF LESS THAN .22 and most customs officials and "border cops" will leave you alone. "Air Gun" means something else to most of them. AFA duty is concerned: It is not necessary so that he would be paying the duty. Contact me by phone and I will explain in more detail. 082-4613975

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Falcon,

I believe what you have posted is an old proposal by the Royal Mail that has subsequently been dropped so it should have no effect.

Dale

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

As far as I know used ("2nd hand&quot goods attract no duties? Is that correct?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Import rules and regulations for "fire Arms" of which "air rifles" is a sub-heading do not distinguish between old and new, but call it 2nd hand. Just don't keep it in it's box and tissue paper when you walk true.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

When we went to the world championships, 6 people were told 4 differant stories as far as the procedures with air rifles are concerned. You might get lucky or ?????, depends who is on duty at that time.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Exactly my point!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Anything thats in a long box will probably get pulled up. If you go through the old terminal there are a bunch of evil barstewards that will have your arm off.