Thread: Accepted Norm

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Accepted Norm

As we may all well know,most of the top pellet brands group reasonably well up to say a maximum of 30 metres.Beyond that the wheat normally gets separated from the chaff.For FT purposes what would the accepted norm be in terms of grouping size at 35,40,45 and 50 metres centre to centre.I believe that if your rifle is zeroed in at 50 metres including your drop which in my opinion should be in a straight line down for your 100 to 120mm on average then that would give you a good benchmark of how your pellets perform.ie. if your aim point is at a certain point on your target card and you do a ten shot group then without adjusting your elevation turret you could then see what your pellet drop is like at 50m but also see how your pellets group whilst still aiming for your original aim point.What is the accepted norm centre to centre at this range?

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

FALCON , I have achieved a 3 pellet group at 50m with Air Arms Fields , with a center to center of less tham 4.5mm.From a bench rest.I find a 3 pellet group to be good enough to gauge the pellet accuracy.With a bit of wind it opens up to lets say 15 mm c to c.
    Looking at some of the long distance kill zones some people can do that without a bench.

So in conclusion I think the groups have to be pretty small for them to be of any importance.

One day when I am big I will be that good too.
    :rofl

Sharp Shooter
    Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '08/'10/'11/'13/'15
    WBRAF President '15

User Info Menu

Test that I did run with my AA400S the drop from 23M to 50 m was about 200mm and my best 5 shot group at 50 m was 10mm (only once)

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Best I could get with AAF @ 50m =18mm 5 shot group.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Well, seeing that the average size of the kill zone at 50m is 40mm, you guys should all be crack shots. It's amazing how a bit of wind can bugger you around!!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

IMHO doing accurate 50m groupings required no wind and a very steady shooting hand/rest. Groupings requirements obvious differ for hunting and target shooting, such as bench rest(if shot at longer ranges like with big bore) or FT?HFT. I have seen "one hole" 50m groupings, shot indoors out of a vice like contraption with various pellets. It can be done. Remember that you are dealing with kill zones of different sizes, depending on the application and distance. You would hardly find reducers over 35m, so you are dealing with around 40mm kill zones at those distances,depending who set up the course.
    I don't quite understand what you mean by "pellet drop" if your rifle is "zero" at 50m, (bad idea for shorter distances) unless you mean to bring the zenith of the trajectory into play, which will only confuse the issue.
    I find that shooting at around 12ft/lb with 8-4gr pellets and a zero at 25m, gives you a nice comfordable trajectory. The pellet will not surpass your line of sight with more than 1 or 2 mm.at most, and will zero(be flat) between around 17m-30m. This means that you will not shoot high at all and your adjustments will be only up to your line of sight and within one revolution of your elevation tarret (if you dial in) and within the range of milldots, when on up to 30x magnification.(If you hunt or prefer not to dial). In fact, you will only need two ''dots" between 10m and 50m at 10x magnification etc. I, like Hennie for one, range at 50x but only shoot at 10x magnification. I hope this confused you less then it did me to write it.
    My 2c worth and weekly sermon. :mblah :mblah

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

i've read, muzzle blast can cause wild groupings at longer ranges.....eg tight to 30m and open up drastically from 40m.

david snook? of daystate posted few interesting findings on airgun bbs. interestingly one of the top uk hft guys adjusted his then gml from 790fps to 770fps. he found his groupings @ 50m tightened and it also raised the POI. this is consistent with snook's findings as the blast is reduced (like the lean charge found in mk3 sports), less turbulence, therefore the pellets' BC increases hence the raised POI, and truer trajectory at the same time.

an efficient air stripper sort of does the same thing.

what do you all think?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

4.5mm c-c, thats pretty impressive Allan, how long was the barrel? 40mtrs? LOL

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

You got me Briam 49M.I was impressed myself.would be nice if we could do FT with a Bench rest :naughty

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Nah, everybody would be winner, could get boring.

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Then we could have 10mm reducers at 50M :screwy

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks Gerrief.Sorry about the zero in at 50m.What I actually meant was aim at a predetermined point without adjusting ur scope.The reason I raised this question was that at the worlds and at most UK FT clubs the vast majority of their shots are long ones on most courses ie.40 to 50m on average.Yesterday in a slight breeze I got a 33mm c-c @ 50m.When the breeze died down slightly it tightened to 22mm C-C
    At 35m I achieved 8mm c-c.These were done with Webley Lazapells all weighed to a consistency at .56grams.I would have liked to have done more testing but time did not permit as I am sure that if presented with a 40mm kill zone at 50m you then have got room for ur pellet to play with of about 1cm from the edge of the kill zone when aiming dead centre on the kill zone.Will definitely test JSB's next week.