Thread: CO2

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Default CO2

Who knows what pressure the Co2 capsules have in them :1zhelp

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Why do you want to know? You planning on buying something that use CO2? :naughty

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

hhmmm..

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

I have a Co2 pistol Spyker.Just wonder what pressure the system works on.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Eish...
    Using a bit of theory that I haven't touched in MANY a day, and a complete thumb-suck on the volume, and assuming you are talking about a 12g cylinder, and sucking my thumb some more, and assuming it's all gas in there, and all that gas is CO2, and doing some dodgy maths, I estimate it's about 36 bar. However, that's going to be linearly out with my estimate in cylinder length, and squared out with my guess of cylinder diameter. Send me the approx dimensions of the gas cylinder and I'll factor it in.

I make ZERO claims that my maths (or physics) is right!

Nasty little buggers if it is 36 bar!

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

yes it is around the 30 bar mark...but its liquid

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi Guido

Are you sure that it's liquid? At room temp I would be surprised (25degC), and above 31degC, impossible. At least, unless it's not completely CO2.

And for it to be liquid, it would need to be at a damn sight higher pressure than 30 bar (around 60-70 bar).

Maybe it's not just C02 in there? :dunno

-b

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

For 30bar those Co2 guns pack quite a punch them.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

I just remember that when I filled my FWB Co2 match pistol I had to freeze the cylinders before connecting them to the big cylinder.
    Then I opened the main one for about 10 seconds and the small one would fill.
    I would then weigh it and try to get about 30 grams of co2 in there..I assume it turns liquid under pressure...hence the variation in velocity when shooting in cold weather.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Had fun with my CP 99 today . I was at a sewege pump station in Chatworth , my assistant was reluctant to enter a valve chamber to operate a switch . Eventually the word "gundaan" made sense , there were rats there & he was displaying his usual bravery when faced with a rat , frog or snake . I had the CP in the truck , missed first shot , but got him between eyes on second shot . His mate was a bit of a problem , kept moving . I missed about 3 shots before I got him in the back of the head as he was trying to run away . Once my "man" was happy all were "late" he continued with his job .
    Lots of admiring comments about my "spam" & how the rats were no more . I was a bit embarressed about poor marksmanship , but he was impressed . Oh yes , range was about 8metres in half light .Pellets went right through . Just to show I'm caring , I gave the corpses to the circling yellow bill kites .

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Actually, 12g powerlets do have liquid CO2 in 'em.
    The vapour pressure of CO2 liquid at 30degC is 71bar. That implies that any given volume/mass of CO2 in any size container must be at a minimum of 71 bar in order to remain liquid.
    With Crosman, as example, having to build some safety margin into the powerlets so they don't go "pop goes the weasel" at 40degC, they mix a little oil into the filling mixture.
    Even then the assumtion that they're at betw. 60 to 70 bar is correct.

I guess don't store these monsters for prolonged periods in a vehicle directly in the hot summer sun... :nono

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi Fucius

My volume calculation must be up to pot then, because there isn't enough gas at 12g to fill the volume that I estimated to 71 bar.

I did kinda suck it outta my thumb, sitting at my desk trying to remember how big one of those little guys was.

-b

MOT: Thomson Pneumatic Rifles

User Info Menu

The powlets are +-14cc volume, if memory serves 0.7 of a gram of Co2 takes up 1cc, ie the cylinders are over full by SA standards (the chap at AFROX was quite keen to get the little blighter of his desk and out of his office!!)
    Co2 operating pressure is arround 900psi so devide by 14.5+ +-62bar at 15degC. Warning cylinders tha are compleatly full can reach pressures of over 6000psi or 414bar!!! BIG BANG!! At 30degC pressures are orround the 150bar mark (thats why I haven't killed myself yet with my PCP tests with some Co2 rifles), at 35degC things start to get rather complicated, this temp is quite easy to get in SA without leaving the cylinder in the sun.
    Basic rule of thumb keep all full Co2 contianers 30degC anf below and never leave Co2 cylinders or Rifles/ pistols etc in the sun. Also be very carefull of bulk filling Co2 guns never exeed 80% fill, ie if cylinder is 9oz or 250g only fill to 200g, this alows for safe expansion at normal temps.
    Co2 is cool!!!

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Warrick
    Co2 is cool!!!
    You funny guy

MOT: Thomson Pneumatic Rifles

User Info Menu

No realy, what else do you call a gas that can fizz a cooldrink or launch a pellet 800fps or better!!